Meet Peter and David
In the mid-1990’s, David St. Germain, the president of the Exercycle Company, conducted focus groups with users of the original Exercycle. During these discussions, it became clear to him that a motorized exercise machine was the perfect answer for the millions of people who have movement disorders yet have no good options for getting the exercise they want and need. Collaborating with both patients and medical professionals, David used the original Exercycle as the springboard for a new product, the Theracycle, that was specifically designed for the unique needs of users with movement disorders.
As David was looking to introduce the Theracycle, he met Peter Blumenthal, an entrepreneur, with a life-long interest in exercise. Peter’s own harrowing personal story gave him a unique perspective on the very market David was looking to develop. In August 1999, Peter incurred a broken neck in a bicycling accident while training for an Ironman triathlon. After a long rehabilitation period he was able to make a complete recovery. However, the experience of Peter’s own spinal cord injury rehabilitation left him with a heightened sense of awareness regarding the lack of exercise options for people who cannot use traditional exercise equipment. Peter subsequently purchased the Exercycle Company—determined to reposition the 70-year-old brand to answer the unmet needs of people struggling with movement disorders who lacked the strength and endurance to use traditional exercise equipment.
“Our goal is to educate physically challenged individuals that exercise options do exist for them. I am gratified to be associated with a product, the Theracycle, that has the potential to allow those who use it to reclaim their bodies and lead fuller, more active lives.”
— Peter Blumenthal, Exercycle CEO
Here are some of the comments regarding my use of the Theracycle:
- I use the Theracycle everyday for approximately 30 minutes and ride 3.5 miles.
- I feel great and have recently returned to work way ahead of schedule. My early return was a result of my Theracycle use.
- I am walking much better – to the point that people are commenting on my improved mobility.
- The wounds (skin ulcers) on my legs have healed.
- I used to take 8-10 pills per day for pain management. I now take 2.
- I very rarely use my compression machine now – I used to use it for 3 hours daily.
- I now have no fear related to walking. I used to be very fearful of falling/walking.